Thursday, February 5, 2009

Things I learned in a major ice storm....




NOT the North texas Ice Storm....worst since 1980...blah blah blah....but the REAL ice storm I got see unfold last week when I was in Northwest Arkansas. I'm back in NWA this week, and this place looks like a dead tree wasteland and there will be plenty of clean up work to be done.




I did learn a few fun things I will utilize the next time I find myself surrounded by 3 inches of solid ice:




1. Spiky, heeled shoes (i.e. my boots) work very well as traction on the ice when you stomp and dig the heel into the ice to get traction to walk.




2. Kohl's, Belk, Chili's, Copeland's, and a vast other of stores and restaurants WILL close. Colton's employees will get a hotel room and stay open with a limited staff and help from the customers brave enough to drive there (or walk there).


Chick-Fil-A will stay open and can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.




3. Hotel Management CANNOT determine or forecast when the electricity will go out. Several guests (who were displaced from the their un-lit homes) kept calling the front desk asking the Front Desk Mgr to play God and forecast loss of electricity (we never lost it - but 190,000 other people did).




4. Ice scrapers can be used as a chisel....2 inches of ice does not "scrape" off a car. Screwdrivers work nicely too....




5. Wal-Mart Supercenters WILL close.




6. Decatur Schools closing (and therefore daycare) is not a happy time for two working parents, one 500 miles from home in the Ice Age, while the other has an auditor coming to his office come hell or high water. But all will work out just fine :)




7. When ice falls, you become more aware of what you stand under.


No comments:

Post a Comment